Important Tips Before Starting:
1. Use ripe fruit (may be frozen) at ROOM TEMPERATURE to help sugar dissolve.
2. To prevent browning of light-colored fruit add 1 teaspoon EVER-FRESH Fruit Protector to prepare fruit.
3. DO NOT double recipes. Mixture may not set.
4. Rinse clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water.
5. For berries, crush 1 cup at a time using a potato masher for best results. DO NOT PUREE. Jam has bits of fruit.
PREPARATION: Prepare fruit as directed below.
1. Measure fruit into large bowl along with lemon juice (if called for in recipe).
2. Measure sugar into medium bowl. (Scrape excess sugar from cup with spatula to level for exact measure.
3. Stir sugar into fruit.
4. Set aside for 10 minutes; stir occasionally. DO NOT reduce sugar or use sugar substitutes. The exact amounts of sugar, fruit, and pectin as necessary for a good set.
5. Stir 1 box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin and 3/4 cup water in small saucepan. (It may be lumpy before cooking.) Bring mixture to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
6. Stir pectin mixture into fruit mixture. Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes. A few sugar crystals may remain.
7. Pour quickly into clean plastic containers to within 1/2-inch of tops.
8. Wipe off top edges of containers; cover with lids.
9. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours to set. Some jams are slow to set. If not set after 24 hours, refrigerate for time indicated on recipe.
10. For immediate use, store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
11. Freeze remaining containers up to 1 year. To use, thaw in refrigerator.
Blueberry: 2 1/2 pint blueberries, fresh or frozen (3 cups crushed blueberries) 5 1/4 cups sugar Remove stems from fresh, or thaw to room temperature frozen and drain. YIELD: 7 cups ~~~~~~~~~~
Apricot: 1 3/4 pound apricots ( 2 1/2 cups chopped apricots) 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 5 1/2 cups sugar Remove pits (do not peel) and finely chop apricots. Go to Step 1 of Preparation. YIELD: 7 cups ~~~~~~~~~~
Cherry (sour): 1 1/2 pound (2 cups chopped cherries) 4 cups sugar Remove stems, pit and finely chop. YIELD: 5 cups ~~~~~~~~~~
Peach: 2 lb. fresh or frozen (2 1/4 cups chopped peaches) 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 5 cups sugar Peel, pit and finely chop. YIELD: 6 cups ~~~~~~~~~~
Red Raspberry: 3 pints fresh or frozen (3 cups crushed berries) or Blackberry 5 1/4 cups sugar Crush. Sieve 1/2 of the pulp to remove some seeds, if desired. YIELD: 7 cups ~~~~~~~~~~
Strawberry: 1 quart fresh or frozen (2 cups crushed) 4 cups sugar Remove stems and crush. YIELD: 5 cups ~~~~~~~~~